Friday, January 28, 2005

Ultimatum.

I don't know if this the bright side of things, but my father gave me an ultimatum of sorts.

Remember that "casual conversation" we had? Well, he also gave me an ultimatum. Maybe not so much as an ultimatum, but an "incentive." He told me that I can get more "benefits" and "inheritances" if I get married by June 30, 2005.

Uh-huh. You read that right. Now, how many fathers would have actually told their daughters these words or similar words? Maybe, just one. Mine. I don't know if I should rejoice or not. Definitely, I won't marry by June 30 this year. First of all, I don't have a boyfriend. Suitors? None even. I can probably find a boyfriend, spend a whole day with him to get to know him, decide if I should marry him within a month. Ii get engage, say March. Wedding preparations can be done in three months (like my sister's). Hmmm. Not bad if suddenly I meet my soul mate tomorrow. Naturally, it won't happen this quick. So I guess, my dad's "hopes" for my inheritances are really nihil. Non-existent. So why bother for that inheritance? Ah, and one more thing he said - he's attaching incentives to everything that cannot be planned - he'll give more inheritance for every child borne from his children (that's my sister and me). I'd believe this one. Sounds more realistic.

Getting married is not just a matter of incentive. It is not just a task that you have to do for the heck of an incentive. It is beyond incentives and rewards and inheritances. It requires waiting. What if I don't get married? So I won't get any inheritance? Well, I don't mind. That's the consequence of not getting married.

Hmmmm... Maybe my dad is pressuring me to get married quick by making it seem difficult for me to fulfill my dreams being alone. He probably wanted me to conclude that I just simply get married... He has to understand though that it is not that I don't want to get married. They are just not coming. Maybe marriage is really not for me. Anyway, let's just wait and see.

One thing's for sure, I won't marry for the heck of incentive. If I have to live it out in the province and drive a rusty car, I will.

No comments: