Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Reviving Old Friends

I had an "anonymous" visitor (and my first commentor!) on my blogspot last night. She commented on my "Cold Turkey" entry where I talked about my issues about having best friends. It is kind of nice to have someone else second my feelings. I was a bit assured.

So how are we now?

My best friend, let's call her "Martha," visited me a few days ago here at my flat. I don't know how the conversation started but we just started reminiscing of how it was in the old days. We were trying to recall how this "friendship" started to develop between us and did we find an answer? Not really. It's either you make friends with people or friendships just simply develop. Certainly, our case was the second. I didn't intend to be friends with her. It just simply happened because circumstances allowed a friendship to develop. We stayed in the same dorm, we were roommates, we would ask each other favors, when she would feel sick (and she can get really sick!!!), it happens that I'm the only one around who can tend to her, and many other circumstances.

We enjoyed that talk. That conversation also helped me rekindle that old flame that originally was there between us. I'm starting to be thankful to God again for having the opportunity to get to know her. I am actually very privileged to have her as a friend. I'm sure, a lot of people (her classmates in law school, for example) would just die to be friends with her (she comes from a semi-prominent family and is very intelligent). I am already her friend and I didn't even cherish it. Now, I'm cherishing it.

Epilogue.

One of my bosses in the Foundation I work for is a common friend of my best friend and I. She asked me once, "Are you and Martha, best friends?" I could only laugh when I heard her ask me that question. I just told her, "What a childish question! It's something that you'll only find in slum books." So we both laughed.

No comments: