Saturday, January 08, 2005

Celebrating my birthday on a New Year

Yes, I was born on New Year's day. My mom had labor pains at 10pm, was brought to the hospital, encountering her OB-GYN and anaesthesiologist partying and the latter bordering drunkenness and sobriety. My mom had CS and I came out around 2am. Well, so much for being a 12:00mn baby, but 2:00am ain't that bad.

I hated my birthday. It was quite emotional for me that everybody is celebrating with fireworks, and at the strike of 12mn, everybody shouts "Happy New Year!" and then goes, "Happy Birthday!" I never failed to shed tears when they greet me Happy Birthday...even until now. Yeah, yeah, I'm a crybaby. But I hardly show them I cry. I don't like other people seeing my teary-eyed whatever occasion.

However,

As soon as I practised my Catholic Faith, I realized a great deal about my birthday and how lucky I am to have my birthday on a January 1. I never bothered to figure out why January 1 was a holy day of obligation until I learned that it was because it is the Solemnity of the Motherhood of Mary. WOW! How lucky can I get to be born on that kind of feast! What else can I ask for? (Maybe to die on one of her feast days.) I am lucky to have been born under her "mantle". I would love to think that she preferred that I was born under her feast so that I realize that she is also my mother.

Since that realization, I try to make sure that I make a pilgrimage to a Church or Shrine dedicated to Mama Mary (I particularly love the Immaculate Conception Churches). On my way to Church, I pray a part of the Holy Rosary. Inside the Church, before an image of our Lady, I pray the whole Holy Rosary for the day. On my way home, I pray another part of the Holy Rosary.

Anyone, who wants to go with me on my next birthday? You're welcome. :-)

No comments: