Sunday, January 09, 2005

My Boys

My Boys

If there were any boys I could call my own, these are
the boys of my life!

Not that I'm a cradle snatcher, I don't even fall for
these boys. These are my highschool student volunteers
from St. Michael Institute in Bacoor, Cavite who are
willing to devote an hour on Fridays and their
Saturday mornings to teach Catechism to public school
children and be trained to be effective Catechists.

One of my observations: the boys are more constant
attendees than our girl volunteers. This fact amazes
me! Are men really more service-oriented than women?
Of course not in my case and in my other firend's
cases. But I guess, there is hope for the men after
all.

We do have one problem with these boys. We need to
look for their "Kuya" to handle them. We have
activities separate with the girls since we wanted to
give the boys the right inputs they need and the girls
their own.

Are you willing to be their Kuya? :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm...interesting offer. though i have to see if my sked can still fit it, alam mo naman tayo, isa lang ang katawan at hindi pwede pagdalawahin.

but exactly will the 'kuya' do with them?

- TOYM awardee

tranquillity said...

It's not easy to be their ate as it is to be their Kuya. These boys' kuya will have to think of WEEKLY activities for them for their cultural upliftment and even sports. He has to think of activities like an hour session of basic tennis training or table tennis. He can invite semi-prestigious to prestigious speakers to talk about their profession to inspire these kids to be like them etc. If the volunteer also is capable, he is also responsible for giving these boys Catholic doctrine classes. No problem with the lesson planning. I do everything for you. :-) Most of all, you'll really have to serve as their mentor or "kuya" giving them sound advice to their problems too.

It's going to be a commitment if you volunteer. And this job is held every Saturday mornings from 9-12. If you're interested, I can bring you to our site one Saturday morning to see how the whole morning goes. :-)

Thanks for the interest, TOYM Awardee.