Sunday, January 23, 2005

C. S. Lewis on Friendship.

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that gives value to survival."

Again and again, I almost lost the same friend. I have become too independent minded as to reach this point of thinking that I can live on my own without having a real friend. It has only caused me loneliness. I almost lost her.

"He who has found a friend, has found a treasure." I have found a treasure in her only when I almost lost her. Does it always have to happen that we only realize the value of a treasure when it is already gone? Well, I think it just had to happen to me. Although I am happy that I had not exactly lost her. She is so patient with me. She gave me countless chances to reconcile with her. I don't mind you guys interpreting this as something else. Maybe you just have not found a real friend.

Anyway, I am resolved to keep this treasure from now own. I won't let something like this to happen again. It took me many days of tears before I could muster some courage to tell her that I wanted to keep her as a friend no matter what. I was an ingrat, an ungrateful fool, who'd let a treasure slip by my hands so easily. Thank God, I arrived at a conclusion that she truly is a treasure. I am glad that I have a friend who will sacrifice to do me favors. I am glad that I have a friend who will give me a great eulogy when I die. I am glad that I have a friend who will pray the rosary beside my death bed and call for a priest to give the last sacraments. I am glad that I have a friend who'll do anything to cheer me up. I am glad that I have friend who will free up some of her time to listen to my woes. I am glad that I have friend who I know will visit me in the "basement" if I suddenly go insane. I am glad that I have a friend who has a family who treats me like I am one of their daughters. I am glad that I have a friend who will point to me the things that I am doing wrong. I am glad to have a friend who I know is a real treasure.

What about you, have you found a treasure like I have found mine?

No comments: