Sunday, December 19, 2004

Helping Cavite

We just finished the second day of a three-day leadership seminar for the local parochial high school students of Bacoor, Cavite. Being a provincial school, most of the students are not exposed to the sophistication of living in the City. The seminar we prepared for these 36 high school students were a series of team building and leadership activities, plus some classes on the basic truths of the Catholic faith. Why that? Well, because we are primarily training these kids to be Catechists. You can call us (those who are part of the Foundation) Catechists of Catechists.

Here's how they looked like. When I saw them, it reminded me of the multiplication of the loaves and fishes!

Photo_121804_005

Feedback.

The participants of our seminar enjoyed the activities a lot! My analysis of the situation is that because these kids do not undergo such kinds of activities in their usual seminars organized by their school. I am quite happy to be able to give them this chance to experience leadership training activities like no other provincial school can give their students.

Sense of fulfillment.

I have the best sense of fulfillment from my work today! I may not be earning like a CEO but what sense of fulfillment! No one can really buy this sensation. I am glad I took the offer to help start this Foundation. I may not have the best bosses here but I have the best job for me.

Some bit of history.

I started being a Catechist when I was 3rd year College. I volunteered at a nearby Foundation within the vicinity of my university. (Mind you, it wasn't that attractive to be a Catechist until my eyes saw the poverty - material and spiritual - of the children compared to what I have.) And so I started teaching without any training and a little bit of correct doctrine... and so I continued until I was already working as a high school teacher. Now, being a Catechist is my full time job. Imagine being paid for this!

I am a not just a Catechist, but a Catechist of Catechists!

No comments: