Sunday, December 12, 2004

Friendship

I am about to lose a friend because of my disloyalty. I don't blame her for it. What is friendship anyway? People may have different opinions about friendship. My definition of friendship is that it is a relationship between and among people where a spirit of trust, honesty, understanding, and favors thrive.

Best friends.

It's hard to have best friends who expect a lot from you. It's hard to have best friends who demand for your time. It's another way of strangling the freedom of others. If there's any exemption from strangling me, I'd allow my husband to do that to me. I would do this because I know I am bound by the sacrament of Marriage and that God gave me the grace to do so. Above all, this is how it ought to be between married people. So what's a best friend for me? A best friend is the first person you want to call about your joys and sorrows. He or she is the first person who you want to accompany you for a haircut. What a best friend for me is not: someone who'd call for no reason. Someone who doesn't even know what to talk about, and you are left in an awkward situation of forcing a conversation. I'd understand this if he were my husband.

Expectations? Should there be expectations between best friends? Yes, I have to admit that there is a certain level of expectation but the expectations should be realistic, and should not reach the same expectation as between husband and wife. If it does, big trouble!!! Hurt starts.

Friends.

Among your friends, who is your best friend? The one you are closest to. Someone who you can tell honestly and unashamedly that you liked New Kids on the Block when you were in high school. Someone you can freely talk about God with. Someone you'll be able to correct so that he/she will go to heaven with you. When you struggle to go to heaven, don't go alone. That's not a good sign.

No comments: