Sunday, July 03, 2005

Mission: To Help Others

Probably the greatest feeling man needs is to feel that he or she is loved. Just try for once that no one loves you or cares for you, I think you'll go crazy. Maybe we can reflect on this need for love a bit more. Personally, I want to feel loved because it gives me the impression that I am important and that I am useful. How people love us is also one of our gauge for our goodness. Goodness is lovable. Truth is lovable.

So if you want to be loved, be good and be truthful. :)

In this blog, I won't be talking about my concerns of being loved, but my loving a friend. I hope I am not psychopathic to do so, but I feel that I have to solve other people's problems. I delight in helping (refer to the previous paragraph). However, one of the trade-offs of being so helpful is the feeling of failure.

Let's just get it straight: no one on earth can really be called the ultimate problem-solver. (Only God can be rightly called as such.) We may be able to solve this problem, but not that problem. We have to understand that in helping other people, we cannot force the other person to do what we tell them to do. We naturally fail in our efforts, but we should not fall into depression because of these.

Let me share with you the prayer commonly taught to recovering addicts and alcoholics. (Though not an alcoholic or drug addict myself, I found this prayer very helpful.)

THE SERENITY PRAYER

God, grant me:
The serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: