Saturday, July 09, 2005

Am I losing my grip on culture?

Just had lunch today with two of my college friends at ebun, this Kapampangan restaurant at Greenbelt 3-and boy!-what scrumptuous bangus they have!!! I have a new place to crave for now. :)

Anyway, in passing, I mentioned to them my "discovery" of Korean romantic comedies particularly My Sassy Girl. My older friend's immediate reaction: how cheap! Whoa! Both of my friends were surprised I can stomach such movies, and how much I have changed in my taste for movies. (That means that I have actually LOST the taste for good movies.) Well, I didn't let them put me down by their comments. Besides, those were their opinions.

Then we continued a conversation about the last good movie both of them watched, "Finding Neverland." As the two of them analyzed how the film was made and the sized up the overall value of the film, I was left dumbfounded by the tons of insights they had. I started reflecting: how come I cannot share an insight on it anymore? I used to "talk like them", giving "intellectual" and "academic" analysis of movies and other pertinent issues. Have I really lost my sense of high breed culture? In the end, did I overrate My Sassy Girl?

Yipes!

I need to work out on my "culture" again. I need some major overhaul and "acculturize" myself again! Perhaps this is what happens to me when I am far from the academic world. The corporate world has probably turned me into one "material girl". Have I forgotten the transcendental values? Have I forgotten the really important and essential things in life? Have we forgotten them?

No comments: