Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Bad Impressions on Opus Dei

It's sad that Opus Dei is a favorite subject of criticisms among non-Catholics and Catholics (laity and clergy!) even.

1. They are for the rich and famous. (There is a jeepney driver in the Philippines who is a member.)
2. They ARE the landed rich. (Who doesn't need land to put up Catholic schools, convents, monasteries, and Churches?)
3. They think women are second-class citizens. (I don't exactly understand the nuance of "second-class.")
4. They are the Pope's secret army. (Heck! Then it's not so secret anymore!)
5. They are too demanding on their members. (Ever heard of how to acquire virtues?)
6. They are too conservative. (Shouldn't all Catholics try to conserve the real intentions and meanings of the Church's teachings?)
7. They are out to dominate the world. (I'd be glad if they do! I don't mind some strong Catholics leading my country. Wouldn't that be utopic?)

I think the above summarizes all most common "accusations" (unjust!) against Opus Dei.

It's sad that even Catholics who are supposed to be "hard core" Catholics speak bad about the organization or at least don't fully understand their mission. I don't want to judge them, but I guess they started on the wrong foot about Opus Dei. I reckon that people who think bad about Opus Dei have first encountered the organization by reading a lot of articles that speak against it. It has created some sort of prejudice in them.

I'm sure that the books written by the Founder of Opus Dei, St. Escriva, are not included in the Index Librorum Prohibitorium, nor other works of Opus Dei. I would like to recommend the Navarre Bible series of texts and commentaries of the different books of the old and new testaments (taken from the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition Bible). The commentaries are made by Theologians who happen to be members of Opus Dei. You can check out Scepter Publishers.

ILP bag
You won't see St. Josemaria's books inside this bag! Fr. Sibley, I love this bag! Wish you could deliver to the Philippines!

No comments: