Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Love is a one-way street

I heard a priest say once, "Charity [or love] is a one-way street." I immediately reacted in my head objecting to what he said. I objected because what I learned from Philosophical Anthropology class was that love has to be two-way because we cannot authentically love something that is incapable of loving. For example, we cannot say that we love our dogs because they do not love. They are just trained to be that way. We cannot say that we love our cellphones because our cellphones do not love us back.

Further on, the priest continues to explain that love is a one-way street because we should not expect something in return. This is what it means to have unconditional love. Now I get it. unconditional love is not putting conditions -- I will only love if you love me back. I will only love you if you will undergo cosmetic surgery. I will only love you if you get a job. Love means not appending our I love you's with if's.

This is why God's love is unconditional. God loves us without the if's. Despite our sins, our shortcomings, our not attending mass on Sundays (the least that we could do), He still loves us. He does not, however, love us to the point that sinful as we are, we still go to heaven nevertheless. The ones who struggle of the good people will not anymore be justified if that is so. God's divine justice still rules. Like any father or mother who will punish his or her child does so for the child's good. For the child to learn. God is our father pictured in the Parable of the Prodigal Son. He will do the same, but will welcome us in open arms when we ask Him for pardon in the sacrament of confession.

So take a stand: confession or not?

No comments: