Friday, April 28, 2006

April 23, Flight to LAX and Bladder Problems

Imagine, I only double-checked my scheduled departure for Los Angeles the night before I was going to leave, and I already told the driver that we're leaving at 4am. Anyway, I tried to be calm at my own mistake, and patiently waited. The driver came and we sped off to the airport. Mom was with me to see me off the airport. Boy, what a long line to the check-in counter to think that I was only 2 1/2 hours prior to my scheduled departure! As I lined up, a Northwest attendant approached me to ask if I was willing to be bumped off and get paid $740 NW voucher. I immediately declined. I hate changing my schedule going there but I would be willing if it were going home. :)

To make the long story short, I got to the check-in counter. When the NW personnel asked what my address was at my first stop and I didn't know! I said that I only know the city and state. So I wrote "Los Angeles, California", which I now realize is still wrong because it is actually Sta. Clarita, CA. Then he asked me if I already tried the Business Class, and I said "How I wish!" Then he continued sticking the labels on my check-in baggage, and as soon as he finished he handed me my boarding passes and told me that I was upgraded to Business Class for my Manila-Nagoya trip. I couldn't believe it at first, and at least I have 3 hours to stay and get to know the "Business Class". So I proceeded to Gate 11, and conveniently arrived just in time for boarding.

Boy, was I like a child playing in Business Class! I made sure I did everything I could to enjoy the privilege of being upgraded for free and without deducting mileage plus points. Hehe. I took advantage too much I took a complimentary bag of toothbrush and toothpaste from the lavatory. Cheapskate! :) After riding the Business Class, Economy felt and looked so cheap. Some marketing tactic! There is definitely a big difference between Business and Economy, and the most important is: getting out of your seat to go to the lavatory without disturbing your seatmate! There were three times that I had to go to the lavatory, but decided not to because I didn't want to bother my seatmates since I sat by the window. I hope my bladder is still okay.

I had a stop at Narita, when I felt really hungry. The only thing I could afford was a pork bun (siopao) which probably had more onions and ginger than meat! I only finished half of it and I gave up.

I arrived at LAX earlier than expected. We had to wait for another 5 minutes before we could deplane because the customs said so. Haha. They probably had to still settle into their seats since we arrived earlier. Line to the Immigration Officers were long. Since I passed by the washroom first, I was almost at the end of the line. Good thing, there was a Filipino personnel instructing NW2 passengers form a new line after all the U.S. citizens were already done with their passports. So again, I was "upgraded". Funny, another immigration officer was explaining to the ones left behind in the long line why we were given "special" treatment. He said, "We asked the Northwest passengers to form new lines because they take more time during the interview." I was a bit offended by that comment because I thought it was insulting. But nevertheless, we still finished ahead of them. The officer gave me six months despite my having a return ticket on May 19. Great!

Customs was not a problem for me too maybe because my box is a third the normal size of a balikbayan box, and my suitcase was rather small. I breezed through the whole ordeal in just an hour. Not bad, not bad at all. And boy is it cold here in LA!

No comments: