Friday, April 07, 2006

A 2.0 Grading for Service

The Upper Grades faculty was in chaos. It was 15 minutes before we needed to board the bus for our faculty outing in Batangas when we were required to sign our coordinators' evaluation of us.

As I read consecutive ratings of 2.0 in my evaluation form, I was dumbfounded. I immediately thought I don't deserve such a rating, but being my submissive self, I signed without questioning them, accepting their opinion of me. I definitely do not agree that I performed below average in the points of service, and rapport with students and teachers. If I performed below average, then why keep me? Why do they want to keep a teacher who is performing in "mediocrity"?

After all the good things that they tell me about how open-minded I am, and how I can be voted to be the next Faculty Club president, then seeing those grades, I screamed interiorly.

I think it was unfair, subjective, and uncharitable. Was it their last hoorah since they would not be my coordinators anymore next school year? Are they threatened with how much better we are than they? Are they insecure of our capacity to do better? Rumor has it that the batch of Upper Grades teachers are the best compared to the other levels, then why give us such a below average grade? After what our principal said about not being wrong in hiring us because we are so creative and innovative, how can we now accept such a rating?

We need clarification. We need dialogue. We want peace, not war. We want a dialogue because we want peace. We do not want to harm any relations. May they accept our pleas with an open mind as well.

No comments: