Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Role of Media

State of Emergency. The President just had to do it. Watching local news has become a trigger for my hypertension since I have reached my personal renaissance. The last time I perfectly recall religiously watching local news was when I was in highschool, and never again had I the time to switch to local channels. It is quite frustrating how the MASS MEDIA (loosely translated as "media para sa masa") has already "innovated" and completely changed its mission and vision to "give what the people like to see and hear." Isn't the "code" of the media TRUTH? Local news tend to hype up the real state of the country. There are just too many reasons for us to hate our country that we don't need the media to give us ideas. What the media can do now is to help unite the people. This is the real power of the MEDIA. I don't remember where I read this -- I think Pope John Paul II mentioned this -- but the media has the power to unite or disunite the people. How I wish the media can use their power to unite the country towards a more pressing need that is our economic dvelopment! Why can't we be like South Korea? What was key to their success is their love for the country. Their president told them to love their country, and they followed him. What could be wrong in what their president said?

How else can we properly show our love for the country? By rallying along the streets, leaving our jobs, destroying the government (the point of unity), and abandoning our family?

I dream that the Philippines rise up from its ashes like the Phoenix. I hope and pray that this happens; with hope, I'm sure it can.

No comments: