Monday, October 10, 2005

Drivers

Yes, driving. As in driving cars. I am a confessed cursing driver. I get easily impatient with uneducated drivers: jeepney drivers who drive as if they own the road, jeepney drivers who do not know how to use the side view mirrors to look if there are oncoming cars, bus drivers who don't care if there are oncoming cars (I think they become tunnel-visioned when they see potential passengers), and other drivers who do not use signal lights.

One of the highlights of my driving experience is when I was lining to park at Megamall Building A. It was a saturday afternoon and I think it was near a payday. I was diligently queuing with the other cars, and religiously following the "alternate" traffic they have always enforced when lining up to enter the building parking. I was about to take my turn, expecting that the "alternate" traffic scheme is being enforced, when a rusty-colored Kia Picanto cut me in front! I noticed the driver to be a bit fair-skinned, clean-cut hair, and even - I thought - good looking. I silently cursed at the driver and when I got a look at the sticker at the back of his car, I saw: "ATENEO SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING." Whoa! was the sticker shouting.

People according to their biases who either react in these ways: 1) "Oh my! Tsk, tsk, tsk" or 2) "Ahh...that's why."

Like what my mom told me, when we drive, we stop being educated. Now, are we going to let that initial reaction get the better of us, or make a difference?

No comments: